Danbury Foreclosure Defense Attorneys
Defending Those Who Are Facing Foreclosure in Connecticut or New York
Hundreds of thousands of Americans are facing foreclosure as the economy continues its recession. Many good, hard-working people are having to confront the fact they are at risk of losing their homes to foreclosure and are not sure what they can do about it. There are solutions that a foreclosure defense lawyer can help you find.
By consulting with Jowdy & Jowdy about your issues with real estate law, our foreclosure defense attorney in Danbury from our firm can meet with you during an initial consultation to discuss your specific circumstances.
Are you at risk of losing your home to foreclosure? Call Jowdy & Jowdy today at (203) 633-2171 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our foreclosure defense lawyers in Danbury.
What is the Foreclosure Process in Connecticut & New York?
In Connecticut and New York, the foreclosure process typically begins when homeowners fall behind on their mortgage payments. The lender may then send a notice of default informing the homeowner that they are in default and must cure the default (pay the overdue amount) within a specific time period. If the default is not cured, the lender can proceed with a foreclosure action.
Here is a general overview of the foreclosure process in both states:
- The lender files a complaint in court and serves the homeowner with a summons and complaint.
- The homeowner can file an answer to the complaint, in which they can raise any legal defenses or challenges to the foreclosure.
- If the homeowner does not file an answer, the lender may request a default judgment from the court.
If the homeowner does file an answer:
- In Connecticut, the case will proceed to discovery, during which both parties can request information from each other and gather evidence for their case. The case will then proceed to a trial where both parties can present their evidence and arguments.
- In New York, the case will proceed to a pre-trial conference, during which the parties may try to settle, or the court may set a schedule for the exchange of evidence and the trial. The case will then proceed to a trial where both parties can present their evidence and arguments.
It is important to note that homeowners have the right to contest a foreclosure action and to raise any legal defenses or challenges they may have. An experienced attorney can help homeowners navigate foreclosure and protect their rights.
Discussing Your Foreclosure Options
Discussing what is important to you regarding your home and your financial outlook is key in evaluating what legal steps the foreclosure defense attorney can help you take. If you wish to remain in your home and your finances align with requirements, you may qualify for a loan modification, refinancing, bankruptcy, or through the Making Home Affordable program. For those who are clearly unable to keep their home but are trying to avoid foreclosure on their record, there is a short sale or foreclosure mediation that might be the best decision.
Based on your financial outlook, there are means that can be taken to assist you in foreclosure options; some of these include:
- Loan Modifications
- Foreclosure mediation
- Defense litigation
- Federal or State Programs (such as the Making Home Affordable Modification Program)
- Short sales
Contact Our Foreclosure Defense Lawyer Today
There are many options open to you and your current situation, and seeking the best course of action for the specific case must be done rapidly. With the help of a skilled and caring foreclosure defense attorney, the matter can be evaluated and a strategy for the situation chosen. The legal team will seek the best possible solution for your circumstances. For a free initial consultation, contact our office today.
We Have Nearly 45 Years of Legal Experience
We Provide Honest & Complete Devotion to Our Clients
We Have Great Client Success Stories to Prove Our Dedication
We Offer Free Case Evaluations to Begin Each Case
We Seek to Successfully Resolve Your Problem or Situation Fast